Silk Pillowcase Care Instructions - Hand and Machine Washing
You can hand or machine wash your silk pillowcase and other silk items. However, we strongly recommend hand washing your mulberry silk pillowcase and other items for best results. Most common silk product damages like ripped zippers, or discoloration of the fabric occur when washing in the washing machine. So why take the risk? However, we understand that practicality aspect. We'll provide you with hand washing and machine washing instructions.
How to Hand wash your Real Silk Pillowcase?
Handwash your real silk pillowcase with gentle pH neutral liquid detergent. This will prevent damage and maximise its life span. In addition, your silk pillowcase will keep its shine and softness for a lot longer.
When Hand Washing your silk pillowcase, follow these simple steps:
1) Prepare a bowl of water. Water temperature should not exceed 30°C / 85°F.
2) Use a natural detergent that is designed for silk (see photo below). Add the right amount to the water.
3) Add your pillowcase to the water and soak for around 5 minutes.
4) Gently rub to remove any stains. Clean any stains by gently rubbing with a clean cloth or sponge.
5) Rinse twice with clean cool water.
6) Gently squeeze excess water from the pillowcase (do not wring as this can stretch or pull the fabric). Wrap it in a towel.
7) Air dry in the shade, avoid direct sunlight.
*it should stay a little damp before ironing.
*Alternatively, all silk items can be profesionally dry cleaned.
The Best Detergent Brands for washing Silk.
Best detergent brands for both, hand and machine washing include:
How to Machine Wash your Silk Pillowcase?
How to Dry your Silk Pillowcase?
Before drying silk products - absorb the extra water with a clean dry towel. Simply wrap the silk pillowcase in the towel. Then, spread silk item on a horizontal surface to dry. When it comes to drying your mulberry silk pillowcase, natural air drying in the shade is best. You can bring it outside to dry but avoid direct sunlight. Do not tumble dry.
Ironing your Silk Pillowcase.
Make sure to iron or steam your silk pillowcase on a low heat setting. Follow the instructions on the label. Recommended temperature for ironing up to 110°C/230°F. You can also iron your silk pillowcase with a towel over it.
You can find our silk pillowcase collection here.